Thursday, July 5, 2012

Thing 16 - Reference and Research Tools

The two databases that I compared are e-Library Elementary and Kids Info Bits.  The topic that I used to compare and contrast these two databases was George Washington.
As far as appropriateness goes, I Kids Info Bits was more appropriate for elementary students because if the reading level for the article was considered easy then I feel upper elementary students would be able to read it and comprehend most of it.  Also, the text to speak function on Kid Info Bits will really help students read the words and better understand the text.  Finally, I thought the articles had more pictures to help support the text.  Overall, I felt that e-Library Elementary articles that I read, would be better suited for Middle/Highschool age students.  Most of the articles I found on the topic of George Washington were above a 7th grade reading level.
Usability I also thought Kids Info Bits was better suited to elementary age students because of the cartoon picture icons that represented a variety of categories that they could click on to help guide them to the more specific information they are trying to research.  Also, the color tabs for whether it was a reference, magizine, etc.  would be helpful for younger students.  Again, e-Library Elementary seemed geared more for Middle/Highschool students and would take more instruction from the teacher to teach them how to navigate it.
The content in both was accurate and filled with many facts to allow me to learn about George Washington, which was my goal.  However, the content was made easier on the Kids Info Bits because of the text to speech capability and the pictures to support the text.
The credibility on both sights was very apparent with all the articles, magazines, and photos being well documented with the author, publication, and the date of creation.  

General One File:
Since I teach 3rd grade, the use of this database by the students would be way above their reading level and therefore not appropriate for them to use.  However, it would be a good database for me as the teacher to research new educational strategies and methods being used in education.  For example, I looked up ELL learners and found some very interesting articles and book reviews that I could use to help decrease the achievement gap in my classroom. 
Again, for my elementary students this would not be very user friendly since it is geared towards adults, but it is very user friendly and easy to navigate as an adult.  The search engine pops up ideas as you are typing in your topic, their are many articles and such to choose from within a topic search, and it gives you related subjects on the sidebar to go with your topic.  
The content is accurate, filled with lots of facts about the topic in the articles, books, etc. that are current and useful.
The credibility of this database, like the two above, is very apparent with all the articles, books, etc.  being cited with author, publication, and the date of creation so that you can easily check on the validity of the information.

Mel Citation creator:
 Mel Citation:
Bib Me Creator: 
 Bib Me citation:

No comments:

Post a Comment