Saturday, July 21, 2012

Thing 19-Digital Storytelling

Video can be seen at:  http://mrvshawks.weebly.com

This is a great way to get disinterested students in certain subject areas to engage in the curriculum.  Some ways digital storytelling can be used in my elementary classroom is in writing short stories that the students then bring to life using video, to do skits in Social Studies, and to do bullying or health videos.  Using videos in these curricular areas will inspire students to be more engaged and develop a deeper understanding of the writing process and concepts being taught.  Finally, it will help students to develop confidence in speaking in front of others and using the appropriate voice level to communicate.

Some feedback I received was they thought it was a cute video, liked the transitions and the music I chose, but thought I could improve it by adding captions.

On a side note, I became pretty frustrated with this assignment because I made the video on my school ipad, which the kids will be using, and really struggled with trying to find a way to share the video.  I finally had to set up a youtube account and all the sharing features within youtube in order to get it to the face of the classroom.  On the brightside, I know how to use it for this year in school.

2 comments:

  1. Chad,
    For easy digital story-telling on an iPad, try Story Kit. It is super-user-friendly and easy to share.
    -Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I am logged in on my wife's account and didn't realize it.

    ReplyDelete