Saturday, July 21, 2012

Thing 20-Online video and audio

I would incorporate online video into my elementary classroom by using Khan academy to show math problems, using science videos to show volcanoes, animals, teacher raps for life cycles, etc., and using history videos to show American Revolution, slavery, etc.  I don't plan to use the audio resources because video has visual and audio together.

One of the tools I am most interest in using is Discovery Education.  The features in this tool appear to be very valuable in supporting teacher instruction.  The ability to do a curriculum standard search seems very useful to align videos to state standards.  Using the "my content" feature to bookmark videos and create folders for reuse of videos seems like a very useful way for teachers to organize themselves and lesson plan.  Having quizzes and assignments already created for teachers to use with the videos is a huge time saver for teachers who are already swamped with things to do.  The writing prompt feature also seems very beneficial and I like that they give a picture to go along with the prompt to help visual students.  Finally, the calendar feature is neat because you can show students things that happened on that day in history.

As far as strengths and weaknesses, I feel they are very obvious.  The strength of video over audio is that you are reaching both visual and auditory learners by using video while with audio you are only reaching auditory learners.  Since I am a visual/kinistetic learner, auditory and lecture learning was very difficult for me, however, when I can see something along with auditory I gain a much deeper understanding.  A weaknesses of both video and auditory is that students miss out on the actual experience of doing the task or kinestetic learning.  A classic example is teachers that teach 3D shapes using a computer or a book.  In my opinion and supported by much of the latest research with boys in education, is that students need authentic experiences in education whenever possible.  However, video examples are beneficial in supporting learning.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment